Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Guilin - Part2 - The Tea House

It’s 10:00 and my train has just arrived in Guilin, a city many consider to be the most beautiful in China, and I am excited to begin exploring. First surprise is the temperature, it’s near freezing outside in mid December. Mild by some standards but coming from Hong Kong where we are still enjoying high 50’s it comes as a bit of a surprise.. I’m not dressed for it.


Guilin is famous for its rock formations that are seemingly pushed up in random patterns across the landscape. Some are green and tropical, others grey and cold, but all seem to hold a captive beauty that inspires and mesmerizes.

Equally contributing to Guilin’s charm are the calm, green waters of the river Li. This picturesque river flows from Guilin to Yongshuo, another popular tourist attraction, but one that I am unable to visit in my limited time.

After walking around the city for a while, I stop at a tea and tobacco shop to have a rest and ask about available hotel rooms. The gentle man and his wife give me many helpful options. I am drinking tea with him until his wife picks up the youngest of their children and then pulls a bucket out from under our table. She holds the child over it unit her business is completed, then kicks the bucket back under the table.. “More Tea?” … “I’m good, thanks.”

The rest of the day is fairly uneventful. I travel to Elephant park (so named for the large hill in the center which vaguely resembles an elephant) and walk around for a bit.


I explore a cave…









Take pictures with strangers (their request)…..







Hug the Buddha….









And when leaving, I meet this guy. I’m not sure who he is, but if I ever hear a riddle that begins "96 legs but only two feet, three rolling wheels and 25 seats…" I’ll know the answer.

When I get to my hotel, it’s no surprise the going rate is marked at over 4 times the price my friends at the tea shop arranged for me. I presented the note given to me by the shop owner and grudgingly I am given a room at a 75% discount (price 95 yuan –vs- 400 yuan advertised). It pays to make some local friends. It’s not long before I’m off to sleep… tomorrow is going to be one long day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saved the Guilin shot and it's now my desktop background. Breathtaking.

Anonymous said...

Hey, this all sounds a bit not too team dirt to me... Where's the other Blog - Pres.

Steven Miller said...

... Note: The picture of Guilin from the river is not an original. I downloaded it from the internet as mine weren't nearly as good.