Monday, May 18, 2009

Unbridled Solicitation

Teaching here, as I'm certain it is everywhere else on the planet, is often a tedious, thankless job. You have no idea how much a simple letter or care package can brighten a bad day or week. If you feel like sending one, I promise I'll write back! (shameless solicitation... I know... I'm sorry)
My address at school is :

YBM Cheongdam ECC
3rd Floor, Mijoon Building,
19-17 Cheongdam-dong, Gangnam-gu,
Seoul, Korea 135-949

The schools phone# 02-581-0509

Letters are cheap but a medium sized package (about the size of a pair of boots) is around $25.

Here are some things that I miss, many of which and are hard to come by here...

1. Chrystal Lite Lemonade (pitcher sized portions)
2. MAC and CHEESE!!! (or shells n cheese)
3. Maple Syrup (it can be found here, but it's around $20 for a bottle the size of coke can)
4. Just-add-water pancake mix /oatmeal / cream of wheat
5. Deodorant
6. Ny-Quil (the knock you out kind)
7. General cold / sinus medicines (and anti-inflammatory meds for my old man knee :-)
8. XL underthings (v-neck t's; cotton boxers; etc...)
9. Cooking Spices
10. Other lil' toiletries and small kitchen items are great too.
11. Used Books in English... I love a good read; (anything on the NYT best seller list)
12... and perhaps most of all, pictures and letters from my family! Oh man I miss my little nieces and nephews.
(fyi: most of the dry food goods can be removed from their boxes and put into baggies; this takes up much less room in a small box)

If you send something, make sure you leave a return address so I can return the favor.
Here are a few more pictures from the past couple months. I'll file a proper update next weekend.

Expressions

4 comments:

Dana Lilly said...

Great to hear an update from you, Steve. I would definitely miss the Mac-n-Cheese as well. Hope teaching is going well, and life is good (even without deodorant). The only piece of encouragement I have for you is...be glad you are not 6 and a half months pregnant! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve, welcome to the real world of teaching -- often a very thankless job -- but really, you are planting seeds that hopefully will grow later on.

Sounds like you need more than a care package - you need a care cargo container!!!

Carl

Anonymous said...

Hi "Stevey". Good to hear from you....FINALLY!!!!! I have really been missing you too. I will try to gather a few things and send to you. Man you don't want to be going without deodorant.....I'll NEVER get you married off! The kids expressions are so cute and angelic...I'm sure their behavior is mirroed in the espressions. This is Memorial Day weekend. Monday is memorial day and a paid holiday for me...woohoo! Hang in there, I know you are doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

OK...before anyone notices I did not read my previous comments and check for spelling errors. I know I mispelled a couple words.