Friday, March 6, 2009

Korea Update 2

Expect an update soon... but here's a quick what's happening.

1. Classes began this week, and I moved from a Korean "Love Motel" (everything but the quarter slots on the bed (floor)) into my permanent apartment.

2. It's hard work, with up to 8 classes per day but I'm enjoying it.

3. I love the kids... they are, in US ages, 5-13. My 5 year olds can be a handful.. my age 13 students can be too honest. Today I asked them to write a journal about any subject they wanted. One of the girls asked if she could write about exercise. I said sure. She followed that up with, "You look like you don't likes exercise." Everyone laughed... especially me.

My little kids keep trying to get out of eating lunch.... "teacher, teacher; my neck and my stomach are ouch" said in the most pitiful voice imaginable. I got her to finish her food but now "Steve teacher is scary teacher" is the popular thing to say.

(you don't get any break with the kindergarden classes... you take all breaks and lunches with them, serve them their food, clean them up etc etc...) I feel like a stay at work mom.


4. I lost my passport for the first time.... bad monkey. I filed for a new one and it should be here in a couple weeks. I suppose I'm stateless until then ;-) Ok.. it's Friday night and I have to get out of this school!!! See ya next week.

Oh... I also got a cell phone this week. My number is 010-8693-5354.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for the update Stevie! We miss you already!!! Reagan wanted to know why you were not at her party but don't worry I explained :) Glad to hear you are enjoying teaching. I am sure the kids are loving "Teacher" Steve. Just so you know we only made fun of you a "little" for loosing your passport! Keep us updated on your adventures!
Love,
AMY

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bloging!
We were wandering what was happing. Glad you are doing ok. Sorry about the bed situation. I hope you were able to sleep ok. We miss you!
Dad

Gurmeet said...

Yoo Yoo Yoo....I am following your blog...It's Fun & I have nothing else to do.....I am sure you are having a blast up there...What's up with your passport....Keep updating......Miss u bro...

Gurmeet

SteveandRebecca said...

HI! Just happened to check your blog - great to see you are back in the blogosphere!

Great to be able to keep up with you from this side of the world! Wish we could visit you!

Don't ya just love the say-it-like-I-see-it of little ones? In a dual role as Director of Children's Ministry as well as a Counselor, I have had occasion to calm feathers and stroke nerves, (or is it the other way around?!) at times due to my little ones' concrete-operational-stage-blatant-black-and-white world view. Gotta LOVE EM!

Keep up the good work - and just know that we love you are are pulling for you!

Aunt Becky and Uncle Steve, Aaron

Katie and the boys said...

Thanks for the update!!! I am so glad you are a teacher that makes their kids eat! Michael told Duane the other night at the dinner table, "My belly hurts, I can't eat anymore." Duane's response, "Eat or you can't get down." Michael, that's what I say to my teacher and she lets me get down."